re: radio relay

John writes:

>Folks:
>As my 92 Spider gets closer to being mechanically tight, I begin to
>contemplate aesthetics. The car came without a radio (just a lovely gaping
>hole in the dash with many wires!). In tracking down why my cooling fans
>don't come on I discovered that the radio relay is also missing. The IAP
>catalog instructs "...read the numbers from the top of the existing
>relay..."  Hmmm. Anybody have any suggestions on how I can figure out the
>proper relay for my radio in a 92 Spider Veloce??

Just because I can't resist an opportunity to parade my ignorance -- I have
installed many, many radios (stereos, actually) in many cars of different eras
and countries of origin, and I've never heard of or encountered a car that
used any kind of relay in the radio power circuit.  A normal (i.e. won't shake
paint off the body panels) car stereo just doesn't draw enough power to
justify using a relay.

I suppose if you are running bank of high powered amplifiers you might need a
relay to avoid a meltdown, but otherwise just find a power circiut that
switches on and off with the ignition accessory circuit and wire it up.

Now, don't everyone run over one another in the rush to tell me I'm all wet!

Cheers,
Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS