Re: Headers cause emissions changes, why?

Derek,

If you can sneak them past the smog nazi's, go for it. They definately give back some ground clearance and of course for the power.

EBSpares in the UK is great to order from. Total with shipping was about $700 and I had them in 3 days.

The only caveat is that the installation is a bit of a pain. The bolt holes for the #3 clyinder are about 1/8" off. I elongated my holes to make them fit. The other problem is that you won't be reusing the original bolts... you'll need a selection of M8 bolts (some need to be quite short) due to clearance issues. It took me the better part of a day to install mine on my Verde. If I had these tips, I could have halved the install time.

One more thing... if you were to install them sans cat (which I'm sure you wouldn't) the downpipes are about 1" too short. Easy to fix, but again it took me a little while to figure that bit out.

--Mark

Derek Ealy wrote:

Last week I saw a cool article on Alfa Centro about some great looking
headers for my car from some place in England. On top of adding a bit of
power, and a cool sound they also give you a bit more ground clearance.
As they are from England I'm sure they aren't legal here in sunny CA and
it got me to wondering why is it that headers almost always will increase
a car's emissions and make it fail our smog tests? I wouldn't think that
changing the shape of the exhaust tubes in a way which adds power (which
would seem to result from more efficient combustion) would raise the
amount of bad stuff coming from our engines.