RE: Fuel pump dies.... now what size fuse

Hi,
	To answer the question about fuses, for my 88 alfa spider, the
fuel pump fuse is an 8A fuse.  I believe that that's probably the same as
on all the other L-Jetronic FI spiders (including 84, right?)

	By the way, regarding my original question:

The fuse is intact.  I tried cleaning its contacts... no change.

I emasured the voltage at the fuel pump (main pump).  It was 9V while
cranking, and ~0V with the key to 'run'.   I actually couldn't hear the
pump running while I was cranking, but maybe that was because of the
starter noise.  I was alone, and could listen carefully and turn the key.
I suspected that maybe the pump was bad, so I disconnected it and measured
the voltage that was coming to it again.  This time 10.5V while cranking,
0V with key on 'run'.  This made me think it was the relays.  To make sure
the pump is OK, I jumpered it to the battery, and it whirred happily.

I went to replace the relays, and I could only get the smaller of the two
(it was metal on my car, and screwed to a bulkhead next to the FI
computer).  The larger plastic one is arriving tomorrow.  When I replaced
the smaller one, there was no change in the performance.... that is
voltages were the same, and the engine didn't start.

I haven't checked for random under the hood disconnected wires.

I haven't even yet made sure its not flooding it and something else is the
problem (e.g. no spark?)

I haven't made sure the little fuel pump is running.  Is it critical (tank
is 3/4 full).

Should the fuel pump be running with the key to 'run', or only to 'start'?
If I wedge open the airflow meter flap, will the pump run?  I've now heard
conflicting answers to this on the digest.  If not, what makes the pump
stay running when the car is operating, but the key is set to 'run'?

thanks!  (Still stranded in a random parking lot).

Don Banfield

Don Banfield					Senior Research Associate
banfield@domain.elided                   Cornell University Astronomy