Re: To Carb or Not to Carb

Iowa has no smog laws, so that would not be an issue.  I was just
thinking about maintainablility and ease of future maintenance.  I have
the Ingram Spica manual, but that won't really help me if the Spica
needs more drastic aid than a simple adjustment.  I do have a local Alfa
mechanic who is very competent.  Unfortunately neither he nor I have
really delved deeply in the mysteries that are Spica before.

Does anyone know how much an Ingram rebuild is?

>From: Jon Pike >Reply-To: Jon Pike >To: alfa-digest@domain.elided >Subject:
Re: To Carb or Not to Carb >Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:42:44 -0700 >
>>(Don't trash the old Spica injection pump, or the main fuel >>pump, as
they will have some value, but the rest of the removed >>parts are
>>virtually worthless). >> > >Couple of things.. What state are you in?
If CA, well I'll use the >technical term: "Fughetabbouit!!" >You really
want to check your state/location for smog laws that >require >original
equipment. Where we're at.. it's gotta come with what it >came >with from
the factory, or it fails for that reason alone. > >Check the cost of the
conversion against a Ingram Spica rebuild.. >might >be closer to equal
than you think. >I don't know, you might need a new intake manifold if
you were to >back >convert to earlier Spica, if that's what you wanted,
adding some >cost.. (Was 81 the year of the single throat Spica?) > >And
about the quote.. yes, the pump is rare and expensive, and the
>thermostatic actuator isn't cheap new.. but for the other parts,
>injectors, lines, etc... you might want to donate to Wes, he >want's
>em, against future need. He states the injectors last practially
>forever, but aren't replaceable anymore. He also wants even non >working
thermo actuators, they can be rebuilt. You'ld probably get >something for
the Spica core as well, and it would end up rebuilt >for >someone else..
to majordomo@domain.elided