RE: Fuel pump dies.... steps to take?

If you suspect that the fuel pump isn't running, the best way to test basic
functionality is to access the flapper in the AFM by removing either the air
filter or big air duct running from the AFM to the throttle. With the
ignition turned on -- but the car not running -- open the flapper. You
should hear the fuel pump run.

A common cause for a 'failed' (non-running) fuel pump is the 'multi-relay'
from which power to the pump is controlled. I've heard of similar symptoms
in a dying relay -- what happens is the relay begins to turn on and off
rapidly which causes the fuel pump to do likewise. This creates a situation
where the pump produces some, but not enough, pressure to run the engine.

If you get no pump action when opening the flapper, try applying power
directly to the pump. If nothing happens, then it probably is the pump.

Lastly (from me, anyway), if the pump runs maybe the problem is a plugged up
or collapsed fuel filter. Sometimes small traces of water can cause the
paper filter element to collapse and plug the system.

I wish I could tell you exactly where all of these things are but my Bosch
L-Jetronic knowledge is limited to the slightly different anatomy of the V-6
cars. But the principles and operation are the same on the four cylinder
L-Jet cars.

- Eric Hambleton, Marietta, GA
  1988 Milano Verde - 1976 Spider
  1993 164 L (parting) - 1977 Alfetta GT (parting soon?)