rumble on initial accel or braking... diagnosis?

Hi,
	For the last 3 weeks, I have noticed in my 88 alfa spider that the
first several times I accelerate from a stop, and sometimes the first time
I apply the brakes, I hear a rumbling sound from the front end.  I can't
hear precisely where its comign ffrom (especially since I need to be
driving to hear it).  It's not associated with the clutch (I don't think),
as it does it with the clutch in or out or while being let out.
	After a few minutes of driving, the problem seems to disappear.
I'vce noticed that it usually happens the first time in the morning when I
apply the brakes after backing out of my parking spot.  This morning, I
tried shutting the engine off while coasting backwards, and it didn't make
the sound.  I'm wondering if this means its the fan hitting something.

	So I'm guessing it could be:

	engine mounts, allowing the fan to lightly hit the radiator,
especially on accelerations or braking, at low speeds, and mainly when the
engine/rad are cold.

	Wheel bearings?

	Suspension bushings?

	Something else?

	Anyone want to give me any experiences they've had that might fit
with this?  If it's engine mounts, how much shop time would I get charged
to have that done?  If I have the suspension bushings replaced, how mcuh
shop time is that?

regards,
	Don Banfield

Don Banfield					Senior Research Associate
banfield@domain.elided                   Cornell University Astronomy