Re: alfa-digest V8 #944

On Tuesday, July 23, 2002, at 03:14 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 01:08:57 -0400
From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
Subject: steering wheel

Somebody suggested that I use an impact wrench on the steering wheel
puller to apply torque and a good whack simultaneously, but it turns
out that I stripped not only my Grade 5 bolts last night, but my new
5/16" threads in the wheel.  So it's back to the hardware store
tomorrow for a 3/8" tap, drill bit, and bolts.  Anyway, a number of
people suggested that I put nuts behind the wheel--this seems like a
great idea, but is there any way to do it without destroying stuff,
like the horn mechanism?

Thanks again,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6

The "horn mechanism," by the time you get to the point where you can put a puller on the wheel, consists of nothing but a wire. There should be nothing on the wheel but the wheel. By all means put nuts and flat-washers behind the wheel on the threads of the bolts. Make sure that you thread the bolt through enough so that some threads show on the bottom of the nut after you've cinched it up tight against the back of the wheel for maximum strength.

George Graves