Where's the dipstick?

The question was, where's the dipstick on a manual gearbox? I can't think
of any gearbox with a dipstick (except for many bikes, where the gearbox
and engine share the oil). You always pull the fill plug, and pump oil in
until it flows out.
The trend today is for engines to not have any dipstick. The 2001 Mercedes
we bought last year has no dipstick. Most new Porsches are also lacking
one, according to a P mechanic I know. The level is checked by scrolling
through the screens on the dash, then selecting the "check oil level"
function. This is done with the engine off, car level, as with a dipstick.
However, the engine, which is used in multiple models around the world, has
a dipstick tube and a plastic cap at the back of the engine. I'll get a
dipstick from a dealer in Europe. Eventually, I'll need it, for when the
free dealer maintenance expires I may want to do my own oil changes. Look
for more of this from other makes as manufacturers try to drive service to
their dealers. You've already seen similar gestures, with service lights
that can only be reset by the dealer (BMW, for example) of automatic
trannies with no dipsticks (GM).

Robert Clauss
Mt. Prospect, IL  USA

'65 Giulia TI