Define "transaxle Alfa"

I don't want to pretend that I don't know what people on the Digest mean they
refer to "transaxle Alfas". But for North American purposes, wouldn't the term
include the 164 (and all post-FIAT marketed designs except SZ/RZ)?

In North American automotive lingo, from what I understand, a transaxle is a
transmission and a differential built together in the same housing. Mechanics
will tell you that a Mitsubishi Mirage (and any other Issoginnis-like design
with a transversal front engine and FWD) doesn't need a new transmission, but
a new TRANSAXLE.

In Europe on the other hand, the term transaxle seems to be defined as a
transmission and differential that are built together AND separate from the
engine, as used on the Alfetta and its derivatives, Porsche 924 and its
derivatives, and current offerings from Ferrari and Maserati.

Any comments on my observation that "transaxle" is variably defined and any
ideas as to the preferred term for the split design we all love and respect.

Sonny '91 164S