164 fuel smell with full tank

I have a similar fuel smell in my 164, especially when I fill up the tank.  In my case,
I have narrowed the problem to the trunk area which fills up with fuel vapors immediately
after I fill up the tank.  These vapors are pulled into the cabin through the skii hole by the
vacuum created from an open window or open roof (very irritating when the AC doesn't work properly and
you have 100F outside temperatures to deal with).

Just as Keith explained in a previous posting, while filling the tank, I noticed the gas pump
stops often before the tank is full.  Lately, to minimize this problem (and the fuel smell),
I only pump in enough gas to get the tank 3/4 full.  I'll try to check the level of the vent
line leading to the filler neck as Keith suggested.

In trying to understand how the fuel recovery system is supposed to work in this car, perhaps some
of you would care to elaborate on the explanation given in the car manual regarding the function of the air inlet valve
connected to the fuel vapor separator (in the trunk).  According to the manual, this valve allows air in and sometimes
out of the of the vapor separator.  This hardly makes sense if the intent is to contain the vapors in the recovery system.
Is it a printing error or does the system work that way?  It might account for the some of the fuel vapors building up in
the trunk and cabin.

Antonio Riso
1991 164L