Re: 74 Spider -- runs great 'til it's HOT and then KAPUT ! ! !

Tim,
       A likely culprit is the thermostatic actuator on the Spica (God!  Is
that what it's called?  I forget now!  It's been over 15years since I handed
over the steering wheel of my first Alfa - 74 Spider to my brother-in-law!)
At any rate, it's the thin copper tube that runs from the intake manifold
area to the top of the Spica pump.  Run the car and pull the plugs after it
has stalled hot.  If the plugs are a black sooty color, you are running too
rich and the thermostatic actuator is not leaning the mixture out correctly.
Get the Spica tune-up manual from AROC or Digest Advertisers.  It's really
quite an easy unit to work with and trouble-shoot if you take the time to go
thru the step by step procedures.  The only trick is to buy or fabricate the
special crows-foot and castellated wrenches.  The other tools aren't really
necessary.
       I'd give you the measurements of the thermostatic actuator protrusion
cold and hot, but I don't have the manual.

Cheers,
Charlie