Check the TA. When it fails the engine runs fine cold, as the mixture is rich, but when warm, it's too rich and exhibits the symptoms you've described.

Regards,

Dean

At 11:33 PM 7/16/2002, you wrote:

Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:50:12 -0400
From: "Tim Sheridan" <tds6599@domain.elided>
Subject: 74 Spider -- runs great 'til it's HOT and then KAPUT ! ! !

WILMINGTON, NC -- July 16, 2002

Hey cats ...  long time

     Hope all is well with everyone  --  my life has been a friggin'
whirlwind of late (usual stuff, you know; got married, moved to a new place,
had to kick the cats out of the house -- blah blah)
     So now that the flood of tasks related to said wedding and new place
are receding it's time to go fiddle with the red 74 Spider.
     Last time we met I had issued a plea for guidance re: Spider, to wit:
the car starts fine, runs great, and everything's hunky-dory until the red
beast gits to around 175 deg and then it's "all downhill from there".  It
starts chugging and hesitating and generally begins hatin' life until it
stalls completely and says "screw this crap, I'm done"   - - -  it's at that
point I glide the Alfa-turned-glider into its parking spot.
     I recall a few folks responded to my earlier supplication for
assistance but I'd be damned if I remember what you all said for me to do !

     The car is completely stock with no mods whatsoever and the symptoms
have repeated now 4 times in the last 2+ months  ....
"start -  run - warm - run - hot - gag"

Good to be back ....  will start reading me AD's again !!!

Tim Sheridan
tds6599@domain.elided
Wilmington NC USA
74 Spider (sputter me)
87 CRX Si (206K+)
94 Chevy friggin' Cavalier 4 door ! ! !  (bride's car... now MINE, too !