-----Original Message-----
From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Zacharey Cox (Siemens Business Services Inc)
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 13:06
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Battery water level

Hey folks, been having a problem with the battery in my '91 164S.  It does
not
appear to be taking a charge, even after sitting on a trickle charge for
several days.  I just checked the water level yesterday.  The plates are not
dry from what I can see through the filler holes, but it does not appear the
level is completely full.  Each filler hole has a 'dipstick' that starts
from
the top of the hole & reaches down towards the plates.  The water level was
below all the dipsticks.  I have filled all of these up (almost = gallon) of
distilled water & put it back on the charger.  This is a heavy duty fleet
commercial battery, a big sucker.  If the battery was drained significantly
or
had an internal short, could it cause all sorts of wacky things to happen
when
I hook the battery up to the car?  Such as, front seats try to extend to
past
their full vertical limit; various clicks (relays/solenoids?) are heard from
behind the dash, etc.  All this started happening after I forgot to turn off
the alarm when I left it in storage for several months.  The battery drained
&
set off the alarm.  Since I did not have the alarm key I had to disassemble
the alarm siren & cut the wires to the internal battery pack.  After getting
some keys cut I reassembled & put it all back together.  The remote key fob
does not turn off the alarm system & I cannot start the car with this
battery,
no matter if the alarm system is enabled or manually disabled at the siren
with the key.  No I have not tried another one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,

Zach

'91 164S