accidents happen; safety kits in the garage

I have to congratulate Tessie for her quick thinking when the plastic
brake fluid reservoir gave way under pressure from her Power Bleeder.

Ian Lomax makes the comment about fire extinguishersI assume to put out
any fires. However, what are they filled with? Soda? Would using one and
spraying the dog, the ceiling, and the car have 'neutralized' any
harmful effects of the brake fluid?

Again, if it is soda based, would that not neutralize a battery acid
spill?

I generally keep a gallon of denatured alcohol around and of course
spray on brake cleaner, but not sure if I'd have the guts to pour
alcohol all over a car and certainly not on an animal.

I've had only a few spills with gasoline in my shop and generally run
for the stack of newspapers and start spreading them out. I do the same
with oil spills, finishing up with lacquer thinner because nothing cuts
oil quicker.

Inside I always keep a quart of hydrogen peroxide, hospital antiseptic
solution, eye wash, bandages in various sizes, but lately have not been
able to find the spray on antiseptic for burns.

I've had two halon fire extinguishers for eons, but are still in the
green. Unfortunately the fire department which inspects periodically,
insists on the 'other' kind and that they be refilled once a year. I
have three of those.

I've always suspected one of our biggest hazards are gas fired water
heaters in garages and welding. The fire captain fully agreed with me.
There is no natural gas in these industrial units which pleases me (also
lines sometimes break during earthquakes and places go boom, sometimes
hours after the initial shock) and any welding done on a car happens
only after it is stripped down or the part has been removed before
welding.

I'm only partially a little old lady when it comes to safety. I do tell
myself frequently, "Self, if that wrench slips as you're grunting on it,
what are the consequences?" Often the consequences aren't pretty and far
too often I haven't asked the question before (grunt, grunt) proceeding
to get that damn stuck bolt off.

Work safely and be hoppy in your work,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA