Oil consumption diagnostics..

I had some questions, in regards to my self-screwed position..

So, the car is drinking a quart every 100 miles, and makes most of it's visible smoke when you deaccelerate with the throttles closed, then open them..

I have the idea this is leaky valve guides... (correct me if I'm wrong)

What can one do, to judge how good or bad the rings/pistons are? I have a pretty good compression test, but how sure can one be? Can one gather any useful info with a borescope thru the spark plug holes? Leakdown tests? It's going to a mechanic tomorrow for an evaluation.. though this is a guy saying "Alfa's are the highest maintentence sports cars, they need a major rebuild every 70-80K miles". I'm taking it there, after hearing from another "it couldn't be the valve guides with that much consumption, it's gotta be the bottom end".

One of my probems is a tendency to ask a lot of people their opinion.. and unfortuantely I therby end up with a lot of opinions.. and a lot of times, all different. ;-)

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do, after I give the car back to the PO's.. is it worth it for some lesser money, or not? The car might be worth a major head rework without other surprises.. but if it needs more, I don't think so.. It might have to come off the road for a while, since it's a Gross Polluter as it sits.

Thanks..

Jon

BTW, a general thanks for nobody yelling WE TOLD YOU SO... after all the info I got on buying a car.