Sports Sedan Part III & Tech Question

The $150.00 Sports Sedan (plus $550.00 in parts) has hit the mean streets!

Driving impression:  I can't believe how soft the spring rates are on this
car, you can initiate the first inch of suspension travel by pushing down on
the fender with one finger;  Alfa probably figured this is what Americans
wanted in '78.  The OEM Spica shocks still seem to work fine.  Despite the
softness, the handling is pure transaxle Alfa.  Throw it into a turn, the body
wallows over, then the car just hooks up, giving a solid, neutral planted
feeling front and rear.  2nd gear syncro is putting a damper on the fun and
will need to be addressed.  The engine runs cherry, eager to rev with all the
right sounds, though the weight of the car is noticably sapping some of the
horses.  Body feels and sounds amazingly tight.  Still need to smog but cat is
new and all other equipment appears functional.

I have but one tech question for the digest:  What is rattling around INSIDE
of my rear driveshaft??  I thought something was loose under the car, but it
sounds like a nut or something is floating around inside the driveshaft tube!
Not noticable while driving, just upon starting and shutting down the engine.
What is in there and can I get it out?  If the worst case happens and I need
to replace the driveline, is there any way that I can get away with just
replacing the rear half?  I know the unit is balanced as a whole, but I want
to avoid having to replace the whole thing if at all possible. This bums me
out because I just had the whole driveline out of the car and didn't realize
the problem.

Again, thanks to all who have replied with help and advice over the course of
this "2 week restoration."

Gregg