Subject: intermittent starting problems

Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:26:40 -0700
From: "Timothy Leigh Rodgers" <timothy@domain.elided>
Subject: Starting problem-Guilia Super

We drove up to the Concours d'Elegance in Palo Alto this weekend.  When we
stopped for lunch on the way up in Salinas, the car wouldn't start -and
wouldn't even turn over.  The headlights, radio, and wipers all worked.  I
tried to jump start the car with battery and cables-still wouldn't turn over
and no clicking sound from the solenoid.  We had it towed to a local garage
and it started immediately.  The mechanic checked the battery, alternator
(115 series car), ignition switch, starter and said all was ok.  In
retrospect this happened once before on the way to Concorso Italiano last
year and again the car stated right up after a jump start that time and
everything was fine when checked by a mechanic.  The problem never recurred
so I forgot about it.  I asked the mechanic what to do if it happened
again-and he had no idea.  I wondered if the car just didn't like being
forced to go to Concours shows before it received a new paint job. My wife
felt it just needed to be shaken a little bit.

Everything was fine on the way home-until we gassed up in San Luis
Obispo-and it happened again.  When starting -nothing.  So we pushed the car
to try and jumpstart it but didn't get it going fast enough.  I tried the
key again-and it started right up!  Maybe my wife was right -it needed to be
shaken up a bit.  What's going on?  No crud on the battery terminals or
ground.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Timothy
'71 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300 Super
'78 Alfa Romeo F-12 Diesel Van
'92 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce