bleeding cooling system

>Squeezing the hose is a trick to get some negative pressure into the
>system so coolant won't leak while retorquing head bolts (trick courtesy
>of Father Fred, IIRC).
>I've never heard of it being used to bleed the system.

Brian,

Thanks for setting me straight on the purpose of the hose technique.  I'm
pretty sure that my cooling system has all the air out now but I'm still
reading close to 212 degrees F whereas I used to always read 180 prior to
changing my thermostat.  Could be that the old thermostat was open all the
time and my gauge is just a bit off.  Could be the recent weather.  Could be
that the new thermo has a problem.  I'll stick fairly close to home and keep
an eye on it for the time being.  If there seems to be a problem I'll check
both my old and new thermostats in a pan with a candy thermometer as Scott
Fisher suggested.  By the way, the reason I changed it in the first place was
because it was the wrong style thermostat.  My car takes a screw in type and
someone had drilled and tapped a couple of holes in the end of the intake and
screwed on a regular boss fit thermostat.  Maybe I should have left well
enough alone!

Bill Sinclair
67 Duetto