Re:MGB-Best Sports Car In World

Best? Of course not!.  Most accessible, affordable, easy to maintain at
reasonable cost with amazing availability of spares even today.....well yes
actually. Easy to tune up to 130BHP without breaking the bank as well, so they
can be made to go a bit.

I have never been a fan of the agricultural, backward looking, underinvested
British Motor Industry typified in the 50s and 60s, which is why we always had
German or French cars for the most part, but the point about the MGB was that
it used stock sedan/saloon car components top provide an affordable 'sports
car' ( a misnomer if ever) experience. They were and still are immensely
popular here for what they are best at...which is tootling aroung the British
countryside at 60 MPH with the feeling that you are going fast, and going for
picnics in hordes with other MGB owners.

The Harrogate and District MG Annual Show always used to be a 'MustGo' when I
lived up there as the turnout of cars in beautiful condition was always
incredible. Personally speaking the MGA was a much more elegant design, and
they tried a TwIn Cam Engine...but it kept breaking which is a shame really.

I would always go for the Alfa, but this is an academic question as few
'ordinary' folk could afford an Alfa, then or now.

What truly ruined the MGB was rubber bumpers and raised ride height.....Now I
wonder who insisted on adding all that C***.

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

P.S. Reading bout the Nascar/Opera T shirt reminded me of a T Shirt I used to
see around Leeds University in the 70s. It said

"Yesterday I couldn't even spell ENGINEER. Today I are one"