More 164 134a A/C question - general

My AC never quite worked on a hot day, I also never quite noticed if the compressor ever kicks in.

I hooked up a pressure guage on the low pressure side and
as I run the AC, the pressure only drop slightly but not
much.

As I understand it, the compressor cuts off if theres not enough pressure, does that mean it won't move at all if the pressure is really really really low? on my sis' van, the compressor kicks in for about 5 seconds, and cuts off when
the low pressure side started normal, dropped below minimum.

Mine doesn't even seem to start compressing.

I've checked all fuses and everything seems okey, what else should I look for before blandly recharging the AC?

thanks!

Jess