Re: Alfetta vs. Milano transaxles

The alfettas have single plate clutches like the Milano (only GTV6s have the twin disk setup). The milano unit is beefier and can be bolted on.
Milanos have the isostatic shift linkage. You have to swap over a part from inside the milano transaxle if you want to keep the isostatic setup on the alfetta box (swapping the part is actually quite easy).
Speedometer drives are completely different. Alfettas used a plastic gear to drive the speedo cable, milanos use a hall effect sensor that reads notches machined into the end of the lay shaft. This might be the hardest part to convert.
Before you actually swap anything over you might want to make sure that your clutch isn't the cause of the problems. A couple of years ago I bought a gtv6 that had been sitting for a number of years. The clutch didn't want to release fully so I took it out for a short drive around the neighborhood with plenty of stops and starts hoping to free it up. After several blocks of abuse a shrill screech began to emanate from the transaxle area -- kind of a slipping belt type of noise. The car ran and drove fine, but the sound would not go away so I tried to gently coax the vehicle back to the relative comfort of my driveway. I made it to within 25' of home when the car died and refused to crank.
To make a long story short one of the clutch disks had fractured and the loose pieces became jammed between the clutch and the housing making the screeching sound. Eventually the broken pieces prevented the clutch from turning which is why the engine would no longer crank. If your clutch is not disengaging correctly or if the noise does not go away when the car is stationary and the clutch is disengaged you could have a similar problem.

-Obie
Tacoma, Wa.
assorted alfas