Re[2]: alfa-digest V8 #895 Open faced helmets

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 03:04:16 -0700 (PDT) John Holliday <fprodget@domain.elided> wrote:

> 2 years ago when I was beginning to run my
> F-Production Sprite in Solo I, the SCCA National
> office specifically told me this was the rule the for
> open faced helmets. Possibly since my sprite was an
> open car that was why. If what I was told by SCCA
> National was true, then am not sure why the open DSR
> car was running an open faced helmet. Maybe local tech
> inspector is doing own interpretation of rules or vice
> versa.

i am one of the local tech inspectors; i am more than a little familiar
with the content of the General Compeition rules. you were misinformed
by the national office. at that time, Aaron Brown was new, and if he
had answered the phone, his answers might not have been spot on (there
are generally only two guys in the tech office, and it would have been
Aaron and Sven at the time.) Aaron got to be very good after some training;
he has since moved over from Club Tech to SCCA Pro.

from the SCCA 2002 General Competition Rules:

17.23. REQUIRED DRIVER SAFETY EQUIPMENT

The following equipment shall be in good condition
and free of defects, holes,cracks,frays,etc.
2. Crash helmets approved by the Snell Foundation with
Snell sticker 1995 or later Special Application (SA95).
(NOTE:Snell M rating is not acceptable.)
6. Goggles or face shields, preferably made of new
impact resistant materials, for drivers of open cars.

so the only restriction with respect to open vs closed helmets is the face
shield/goggle requirement for open cars. it has been this way as long
as i have been an inspector (which is about 10 years now.)

richard