Project Alfa Log: July 6 2002

Today's plan was pretty simple. I was going to install the newly
reupholstered drivers side seat so that my wife could work the pedals while
I bled the brakes and clutch. When I tried to install the mounting screws I
discovered a problem that has been lurking hidden for the past 4 years -
since I installed those new floorpans - the mounting holes don't line up.
It's been an elusive problem because I have, over the interim, occasionally
installed the seats for one reason or another. Since it was temporary I
normally just installed two mounting screws - usually opposite corners to
keep the seat secure. Well I found out today that I couldn't install both
screws in a track - they were about 1/4 inch off.

Arrrrgghhh!!!

I pondered my options for some time. There were no "clean" choices. I
decided that the most eloquent solution was to weld up the rear holes in the
tracks, grind them flat and drill new holes. A stinky, noisy job that left
lots of ground metal to sweep up afterwards. It took the whole day.

Needless to say - I didn't get the brakes bled

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa - http://home.pcmagic.net/pi