Re: Auto racing helmets

I'll second Richard's recommendation that you try several on first to find a good fit. It's not just uncomfortable, it's unsafe if your helmet isn't a snug fit on your head. I noticed that different manufacturers seemed to cater to different shaped heads, with Shoei giving me the best fit.

If you do go for a full face helmet or one with an integrated windscreen, try it on and see if you can fog it up. Some people seem to be more full of hot air or something, and need a helmet with good ventilation.

From my motorcycle days, I'll add that the fit and finish of Arai and Shoei helmets were the best of any helmets I owned. I have an HJC, but it's just for the occasional passenger. Of course you probably won't spend a 1/10th of the time with a helmet on car racing, as you would motorcycle riding so a cheaper helmet might be a good choice.

--Mark