Re: Auto racing helmets

On Sat,  6 Jul 2002 15:49:40 -0700 Robert Rand <r-mrand@domain.elided> wrote:

> Hello all...
>
> I am looking for a source to purchase a snell certified auto
> racing helmet for autocross events.
>
> Has anyone had good luck with a particular manufacturer and vendor?
>
> Since I will not be using this that much, a nice used one would
> be workable.

here is a modest amount of helmet advice:

1) Fit is more important than anything else

2) because fit is important, consider going to a local retail outlet
despite the higher costs

3) any Snell approved SA helmet is probably pretty good.

4) note that Snell M helmets (motorcycle helmets) are not approved in some
contexts, while SA helmets are accepted most anywhere you might use it.
M helmets have nylon liners instead of nomex or PBI liners, and somewhat
different test requirements.

5) i have used both Simpson and Bell helmets and have found both to be
satisfactory.

6) the only legitimate label indicating snell status is the holographic one
on the inside of the helmet, buried behind the liner. this sticker should't
be disturbed, in general. older ones are not holograhic, but all the SA2000
stickers i've seen are.

7) some helmet salesman are dishonest (now there's a suprise.) i have seen
racers at one track which has a shop on site go in for a new helmet, and
they've been sold 5 year old motorcycle helmets out of old stock.

8) new snell standards come out every 5 years; SA2000 is the latest auto
racing specification. the standard was defined for 2000; helmets meeting
the SA2000 spec appeared towards the end of that year.

9) auto racing organizations like the SCCA generally accept the two most
recent Snell standards (currently SA95 and SA2000). during the overlap year
(2001 being the most recent), they accept the three most recent to
facilitate drivers getting into the latest helmets.

richard