Loose Berlina front bumper

I am trying to tighten a loose front bumper
on a 73 Berlina.  I've pried off the rubber
pad on the overrider (or bumperette) and
expected to find an easily removable nut
of somekind that would have allowed the
overrider to come off and allow access to
whatever it is that holds the bumper to the car.
Unfortunately it isn't obvious to me what the
next step might be.  There is a rectangular
piece of metal that seems rusted/welded to
the overrider.  Is this a fastener I would need
to loosen and remove?  Or am I missing the
point and the bumper can be tightened some
other way?  There doesn't seem to be any
access from behind the bodywork.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Livio Passera
Toronto, Canada