Re: European trailer hitches

Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided
>>Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:12:45 -0400
From: "Bill Bain" <bill_bain@domain.elided>
Subject: European trailer hitches

OK, my '83 Spider now sports a true trailer hitch, complete with the US
standard 1 and 7/8" ball.  The European bike rack that a Dutch friend gave
me (still has the Dutch license plate riveted to it!) is intended to mount
over the trailer hitch ball, *but* the US standard ball is a bit too big.
Questions:

What is the standard European size ball?

I will be in Paris next week.  Any idea where one buys such a thing as a
trailer hitch ball, assuming it exists?  Not sure they have Pep Boys or
Kragen or Western Auto over there!  :-)

There's been a lot of discussion about hitches on Spiders.  It can be done.

I'll post details when I get back!

TIA
Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider
'87 Milano Silver
<<

The standard European tow-ball is 50mm.  The best place to buy one in
France is probably one of the big hypermarkets, like Auchan, Leclerc,
Intermarche or Carrefour.  All the bigger ones have quite impressive motor
accessory departments.

Chris Sweetapple
Highwood Motor Company
Swansea, U.K.