European trailer hitches

OK, my '83 Spider now sports a true trailer hitch, complete with the US standard 1 and 7/8" ball. The European bike rack that a Dutch friend gave me (still has the Dutch license plate riveted to it!) is intended to mount over the trailer hitch ball, *but* the US standard ball is a bit too big. Questions:

What is the standard European size ball?

I will be in Paris next week. Any idea where one buys such a thing as a trailer hitch ball, assuming it exists? Not sure they have Pep Boys or Kragen or Western Auto over there! :-)

There's been a lot of discussion about hitches on Spiders. It can be done. I'll post details when I get back!

TIA
Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider