Re: peugeot

Ciao,

Sounds suspiciously like internal head gasket failure (exhaust gases in
coolant, coolant in exhaust. You can get the coolant analyzed at some shops,
and they'll be able to tell you. I had the same happen on my VW Vanagon, who
are, by any means, notorious in regards to head gasket failure. Nonetheless,
it had the same symptoms, cold rad, plenty of fluid, no or intermittent
heat, random overheating. I changed the water pump twice before replacing
the head gaskets finally (Porsche mechanic-duh). I have seen many water pump
designs and it never quite seemed possible to me that any of them could
completely fail. Make sure your belts are tight.

Then again, it might just be your thermostat, if you're bleeding lucky, or
the water pump, be that as it may.

Matthias Kuster L.A., CA
1991 164L "Alfonso"