Old tops (or hoods . . . but not halters)

>From: "Greg McNair"
>Subject: . . . canvas top question (leaks thru the material)
 . .  I discovered that the top is not rainproof.  As beautiful as it appears
on the outside, evidently the top was stored more than it was up prior to my
taking possession.  The top leaks like a sieve. . . .  The inner lining has
dry-rotted . . .  Do any of you know what needs to be
done to waterproof this top?  Is there a lining that can be installed on the
inside?  And I haven't discounted using a waterproofing liquid on the canvas,
but I don't know which product to use.  Any advice is, as usual, greatly
appreciated!
>Greg
>84 Spider Veloce

You might want to look into Renovo, a company in England that makes several
products for reconditioning canvas tops.  Go to
http://www.renovointernational.com

I've received from Renovo three of four packages I need to recondition the
original (but still presentable) canvas top on my 77 Spider.  I haven't yet
started the process because the fourth package, yet to be received via the
Royal mail, contains the first product I need to use -- a "dry cleaner."
After using the cleaner, there's a dye-like solution (my top is black, but
there are other colors), then a waterproofer solution to apply, along with a
small bottle of plastic polish for the rear window.  The kit I ordered cost 57
pounds -- about $82.  If you or anyone else uses or has used these products,
I'd be interested to learn your experiences.

And, I'll add a question of my own:  I have a couple of small rub marks in my
top about 1/16th of an inch by  1/4 of an inch.  I don't think the
waterproofer can do anything to such gaps, so after going through the Renovo
process, I'm thinking about dabbing over these holes some of the black goop
you buy at Home Depot (sorry for the coroporate plug) to dip hand tool handles
in.  Anyone have an alternate idea?

Doug
77 Spider
Richmond, Virginia