advertising

In a message dated 6/27/2002 6:21:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> This reminds me of an ad I saw in my college newspaper a few months
> ago for the Toyota Celica.  One of the features it touted was "direct
> ignition" which, if my memory serves me correctly, was introduced by
> Bosch in 1898 and became the standard almost immediately, being in
> place on *every* gas-powered car made today.

There is a famous story about PT Barnum.

He had a sideshow attraction in CT and wanted to make people keep moving
through at a good clip, because his $ was based on customer throughput.  So
he hung up a sign:

THIS WAY TO THE EGRESS

And people flocked through the door to see it!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA