Re:: used cats (now programmable ECU and emission tests)

>Hi Chris,
>I was referring to older EFIs (Jetronic, early motronic and SPICA
>mechanical FI). Since you included part of my post, are you inferring
>that the current L-Jetronic EFI on My Milano 3.0 with no EGR will be
>better in handling emissions than the Autronic SMC ECU?

Hi Zamani,
I was trying to infer that an individual writing engine maps for himself
(herself) is very unlikely to go to the trouble and expense of really
worrying about NOx output.  The goals of high power, good throttle
response, low HC and CO and low BSFC don't work against each other all
that much.  If you add low NOx you have increased the complexity by at
least an order of magnitude, as now the high heat and pressure that could
be used to optimize the others now must be avoided to keep NOx down.
Without EGR the only choices are more fuel or less timing.

I believe that if you were to tune your SMC at a dyno shop for power and
BSFC and then tune the low end for engine feel and gas mileage, you would
pass a tail pipe test at idle and 2500RPM, but would fail a loaded test
(IM240, ASM) for NOx.  As I said I have never seen a dyno shop with the
ability (i think that "constant volume sampling" is necessary here) to
test for NOx.  They might be out there and if you use one all I have said
might just be superfluous twaddle.

Thank for listening
Chris