164LS (Super) Heater Control Valve(?)

RTFM disclaimer: I checked the CarDisc CD first and it was not all that
helpful or I couldn't find the correct page.

Does anyone know if there is a valve on this car that shuts-off coolant flow
to the Heater Core, or is it always "on" and the air flaps are the only
control mechanisms?

...and is that valve accessable without removing the center console?

Why do I ask? I still have a faint smell of coolant when my heater is first
turned on. The otherwise excellent dealer has tried 4 times in 7 years to
fix it, and due to my unemployment status I have time to tinker with it. The
heater core has been replaced...maybe it is the valve

Karl in Sunnyvale