re: Hellebore Steering Wheels

--- Steve Schaeffer <borrani@domain.elided> wrote:
> Interesting!  Not a GTA wheel but it has the same
> odd bolt pattern as my GTA
> wheel.  Is that unique to the Hellebore?

Same bolt pattern as my Hellebore "TZ lookalike"
wheel.  It appears to be unique to Hellebore, though I
wouldn't be surprised if another wheel maker used the
same spacing.

And on that subject, I had a good Alfa Day yesterday,
helping Joe Cantrell swap the rear end in his Spider
and visiting with a couple of other folks, including
Joe Kollman, who owns a couple of VERY nice Alfas,
including a GTV6 with some interesting history.

The GTV6, when Joe K. acquired it, had a tiny Sparco
steering wheel that increased steering effort beyond
the "fun" level on the GTV6.  So Joe tried replacing
the Sparco wheel -- on its hub adaptor plate -- with a
Momo wheel originally from a Ferrari 308.  It's in the
car, I saw it yesterday.

Likewise, the new owner of my Junior didn't like the
cheap-but-functional SportLine wheel that I had put in
that car, and managed to find himself a Momo "Jackie
Stewart edition" steering wheel in a barn (better
still, it was in his OWN barn, in a box of spares that
came with a parts car he'd purchased years ago).  That
wheel is now bolted to the SportLine hub in the
Junior.

Based on what I've seen, at least some of the 6-bolt
wheels from Sparco, SportLine, and Momo can be used
interchangeably on the same hub adapters, a point
which may make life easier for somebody who buys a
Momo wheel off eBay and can't find the hub adapter.  I
bought my SportLine hub from AR Ricambi six or seven
years ago, at which time it was something like $10.

One final point: Joe K. says he has heard that Grant
makes an intermediate plate that allows you to connect
a Grant (5-bolt) hub to a 6-bolt wheel.  I haven't yet
seen one of these, but it would have an additional
benefit on Alfas in that it would move the steering
wheel closer to the driver, changing the hand/foot
relationship that some people seem to have problems
with.

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
.