Re: Spider air conditioning

Tony,

I recently repaired/converted my 90 spider ac to r134.
The ac was not working prior to the conversion as the
low pressure pipe connected to the compressor (the one
with the schrader valve in it) had been snapped off by
a previous owner. I took this opportunity to remove
the compressor and drain the old oil. I then refilled
the compressor with ester oil (i got the compressor
specs from the manufacturers website (Sanden in my
case)). I bought a new drier for the system. I changed
all of the o-rings in the system. I had the broken
pipe welded by a professional welder. I put it all
together, pumped it down, added freon, and it blows
cold. I can't tell you if it blows as cold as an r12
system, because I have never been exposd to one. I can
tell you that the sanden compressor has been working
with ester oil and r134 for almost 2 months no with no
leaks and no problems (except that I need to add a
little more ester oil to the system).

Good luck,

Ken O'Connor
90 graduate
95 jetta
67 beetle

I was wondering if anyone in the group has converted
there A/C from
R-12  to
the newer type of refrigerant. Is it simply a matter
of using one of
those
kits available at Walmart?
Tony