re koni adjustability

I take it that the koni adjustability thread has just about unofficially
finished. However thought I'd just put a couple of nails in the coffin to
finally put it to rest. My next door neighbour (Barry Brookes) is the Koni
distributor for Australia (Toperformance). He's had years of rallying
experience, including the old Repco around Australia rallys plus Targa
Tasmania and at one stage was the Datsun service manager here in Melbourne.
I've heard him say this on numerous occasions and to me personally. "The
adjustment on standard Koni shock absorbers such as the Sport or Classic
series (eg to fit 105/115 series) is intended by the factory to be a wear
compensator only". If you want to change the full  effect of the damping
characteristics you need to change the valving. Sure, adjusting them up will
change the way they perform, however I believe that is a compromise compared
with changing the valving. For further info see
http://www.toperformance.com.au/faq_fs.html

Obligatory Alfa content: The engine in the 1750 GTV died as I drove across a
bridge last week. On lifting the bonnet I then noticed that there was an
awful lot of smoke escaping from underneath the dashboard      SH.T !!!!!
Never pulled a battery terminal off as fast as that before. Turned out the
ignition cut out switch I put in many years ago had rattled loose and then
shorted out on a metal section of the dash mount. Fortunately the wiring
loom was undamaged and I was able to drive said vehicle home once we figured
out what had happened. That night I put the fire extinguisher back in the
car!

Warren Reid
Melbourne Australia
68 1750 GTV (Koni Yellows)