Re: changing the chain

>Changing the chain involves getting the master link up on top with the front
>cam lobes pointing away from each other (should be every 3rd revolution),
>locking the tensioner in the full slack position, pulling the old chain,
>dropping in a new chain, using pieces of welding rod with hooks bent on the
>end to grab the end of the new chain just under the idler, wiggling shaking
>(the chain) cursing (that would be me) to get the rest of the chain threaded
>back up towards you, making sure both rows of the chain are on their
>respective rows of teeth on the idler...

OR, use a short length of wire to tie the end of the old chain to the new
one BEFORE you remove the old, then use the old one to pull the new one
through. Not a bad idea to tie the other end of the new chain to something
too so you don't drop that down.

This may minimise the swearing, but some bad language is an essential part
of the process! Of course before you remove the joining link from the old
chain, or fit the new one, you put a rag over the top of the open space in
the timing cover that is just waiting to swallow the little bits on their
way to the sump....

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce