Milano 3.0 oil filter

Fellow 3.0 liter owners (and other knowledgable Digesti),
I am double checking the specified oil filter for my 87 Milano Verde. The
auto parts store showed only a 2.5l for 87 and 3.0l for 88. Go figure. Are
the filters for the 2.5 and 3.0 the same? What is the recommended one to use?
He gave me a Fram TG16 "Tough Guard" for heavy duty use when I asked him
which was best. Any advice pro or con on that one?
I see in the owner's manual that it says to remove the air filter and cover
to get at the oil filter. Is that the easiest way to do it without a lift? Or
is squirming on my back too much trouble and can't really get at it anyways?
Got me 8 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5w-50 and I am ready to get dirty.
TIA,
John L