pistion o-ring replacement pointers?

hey gang,

in replying to an earlier post, richard welty
mentioned replacing the o-ring on a loose liner from
below. why from down there? as opposed to from above
(ring compression difficulties?)?

oh, while i'm at it, does anyone have a good way of
loosening valve keepers on particularly stubborn
valves? i've pretty much put my full weight (not that
i'm a big guy) on my valve tool, and they just don't
want to move.
i'm concerned that if i try more force, i'mm going to
do bad things to soome part of the head (e.g. strip
spark plug threads)

many thanks,
ethan schartman
'87 milano gold