Re: Why price differential in gasket sets?

>I know "you get what you pay for" is generally
true to some extent, but does this hold true for a gasket set?<

Yes it does, and I'm stating this from experience. The aftermarket gasket
sets range from barely acceptable to absolute crap. I rebuilt a motor with
an aftermarket set. The cam cover gasket blew after about 3 weeks. Not a big
deal, I had an extra (aftermarket) It blew also after a few weeks. Still not
a big deal, I bought an OEM cam cover gasket and that solved that problem
but then the timing cover gasket went. This IS a big deal, you pretty much
have to remove the engine to replace that one.

At the time I was getting ready to assemble the engine for Project Alfa.
That's all done now and the aftermarket gasket set that I had bought for it
is still in it's shrink wrap in the cabinet. I used all OEM gaskets and
wouldn't use another aftermarket set for anything.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa - http://home.pcmagic.net/pi