RE : mercury substitute

lets not forget that mercury has the
highest surface tension of any liquid.
that keeps it from sticking to the inside
of the tubes and allows it to be readable
as a real-time gauge.
True.. as well as it is extremely heavy, a piece of lead will FLOAT in it..

The gauge wouldn't read the same, possibly not even read on scale at all.. if you used some lighter kind of liquid.

Add to that the toxic nature of mercury.. (it has a significant vapor pressure at room temperature) and I'd skip trying to refill it, I believe there are similar gauges (spring type?) available for $25 or so.

Probably your easiest solution.

Jon