Restoration begins in earnest

    After 3 days of stripping, I have now removed, with the help of a friend,
2 coats of color and 2 coats of primer from my 73 Spider. I was able to use
Strypezee for the top color coat. This product is MEK and some small amount
of Methylene Choride in a heavy bodied form. It easily bubbled up the top
coat of paint. Of course this coat was a Maaco type paint job and was very
poor quality. The primer and other coats below were a different story as they
laughed at the Strypezee. It took pure Methylene Chloride to go to work on
these layers. I did it outside in a breeze so felt safe in using this
product. It is some baaaad stuff. It took as many as 7 applications to remove
the remainder. I was very pleased to get to the metal and find absolutely no
sign of any rust anywhere. This is why I bought this particular car. The PO
has removed the side marker lights and sealed them in. He also removed the
rear tag lights for some reason. I will replace the tag lights and leave the
side markers off.
     I was pleased to find very little bondo on the car. Where I did find
some, it was vastly overdone. No doubt a quickie job by someone who didnt
want to sand much. Just slapped on and then blended in. It was a good job of
blending though........... couldnt really tell until the paint was removed.
     The next step is to finish up paint removal in all the nooks and
crannies and sand the entire body with some 220 paper. I will then mask and
shoot the body with some PPG epoxy, etching primer. I want to get the primer
on as soon as it is sanded so that it doesnt have a chance to oxidize. This
is when I will do any dent and ding repairs with filler, then shoot with a
high build primer, a red tinted sealer, then base coat, then clear. After
primer though, I will slow down and really block out any imperfection I can
find. I want it as slick as possible. This is a real learning experience. I
will not try to re-do the engine compartment yet, that is a winter job when I
will remove the engine and tranny for new seals.
     My buddy is already working on the re-upholstery and carpeting. I will
leave that to him since he has the experience and machinery to do the job. I
feel very lucky to have someone so knowledgeable.
     I will sort out all the mechanicals during the cold months. I have to
paint now since I dont have a climate controlled painting area. It really
looks good in bare metal, all bare and naked. Looks like a DeLorean- Alfa.
Maybe a clear coat on top of the bare metal? Nah....... it really needs to be
brilliant red.
         randy long