Re: Initial setting for Koni sports/ "Shock"ing subject

At 01:27 PM 6/20/02 -0400, you wrote:

Sorta kinda on this same subject... I have a set of Koni reds in my
'74 Spider and they feel a little on the soft side. I'd like to
stiffen them up a bit but have no documentation on them. Which way do
I turn them to get them stiffer, clockwise on counter clockwise when
looking down at the top of the shock body?

Thanks a lot,

Ed
Loveland, CO.
Ed

For the fronts, the best way is to slacken the nut on the bottom mount and remove the top nuts completely, then compress the shock absorber fully to adjust. Slackening the bottom nut will allow you swing the shock absorber into a more convenient position if you don't intend taking the wheel off to get access. With the shock absorber fully compressed, you should be able to feel the mechanism engage as you rotate the shock tube. I find it best to work out where the shock is set, by counting the clicks to full-soft then adjust to a harder/softer setting, then test for resistance by expanding and working the shock. This way you can not exactly where its adjusted in case you need to go harder/softer. Which way to turn..? ... er I think clockwise for harder but don't take this as the definitive answer. I test each time as described above when adjusting these road shocks. (The competition ones are easier and adjustable for both compression and rebound).

I have the Koni Recommendation list in front of me and here are their listings. Front/rear:

Red C80-1039/80-1193 Giulietta 1300, Berlina 1300; Giulia 1600 Spider, Sprint, SS

red 80/1551/80-1781 Giulia1600 Ti, 1600 Ti Super from chassis CH416601 (Oct'65)
Giulia 1600 Super, 1600 Sprint Gt

Red 80-1781 Giulia 1300 GT Jr, 1300 Super, Giulia 1600 GTA, 1600 GTV, 1600 Nuova
Yellow J80-1551J801781 for Sports drivers

All other 105, 115, 1750 and 2000 - GTVs, Spiders, Berlinas
80-1551/80-1781 or J80-1551/J80-1781

There is no front shock listed for the Montreal. The rear is the J80-1781
There seems to be no interchangeablity between shocks for Alfas and those for other cars. Koni prides itself for engineering their shocks specifically for each vehicle; at least that is their claim. It would be interesting to find out if this is true or that a particular inner get put into a range of outers with different stampings.

Email me directly if you need type numbers for any other cars.

Les in Wellington, NZ