cam timing

greetings alfisti--

first off, i should thank everyone who responded to my questions about
replacing the head gasket on my 2.0 L spica'd  car, particularly Andrew
Watry, who provided some invaluable pointers, and patiently explained the
process to me. this is truly a wonderful forum for which i am eternally
grateful!

now the question:

as i was replacing the head gasket, i noticed on removing the cylinder head
that the cam timing was slightly off--the cams were about 2mm advanced from
the marks. on re-assembly i put everything back exactly as i had found it,
including the cam timing (the engine ran well, so i figured...?). now it's
bothering  me knowing that there is this possible maladjustment. my question
is: would there be any reason for the cams to be set this way? should i
reset the cam timing? how far off can the cam timing be before affecting the
way my engine runs?

grazie

james
'79 alfetta sedan