RE: Bleeding Dual Circuit 69 Brakes Again and Again and...

--- Tony Sims <simstony@domain.elided> wrote:
> Having seen Scott in person, [...]I think the dang
> pedal is bending under the assault of those
> Sequoia-sized thighs!

In an interesting coincidence, when this message came
in I was just getting back from the gym and describing
my current workout routine (a combination of
upper-body and aerobic work) to Kim.  "Don't you do
any leg exercises?" she asked. "Not any more -- none
of the machines go high enough," I answered. :-)

> Scott, you mentioned significant glazing of the
> rotors and the pads.  Did you
> do anything to rough up the rotors when you
> installed the new pads?

Hmmm... Not yet.  On the one hand, that's part of what
bedding-in involves, I've always suspected -- getting
the right degree of "bite" between the rotors and the
new pads.  On the other hand, I've got a nice 3M
Scotchbrite sanding pad in the garage that should be
just the right degree of abrasiveness (in fact, I
originally bought it and its brethren to scuff
cylinder bores).  When I install the rear pads (which
arrived last night), I'll rough up the rotors with
that.

One final comment: since it's been drizzling on and
off for the past few days, I drove the Berlina to the
gym and back.  I'm becoming more and more convinced
that the only thing wrong with *my* Berlina's brakes
was that the pads were used up.  I've still only got
about 6-8 miles on the new (front) pads, but my
confidence in this car's brakes is growing by leaps
and bounds.  The pedal pressure is VERY light, but it
certainly seems to work effectively.

And on the fun side, I nipped inside a lumbering
behemoth on the two-lane left turn to the health club
and got a touch of oversteer when I got back on the
power at the exit on the wet roads.  Just a touch,
mind you; a flick of the wheel and a reverse blip of
the throttle kept the rear end planted and we motored
on in style and comfort.

Mitch... next time you're in Oregon, you can drive my
Berlina.  You'll give all your matches away. :-)

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon
.
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com