Re: Ventilation slots and steering efforts

How do those vents hurt the aerodynamics? So what if a little air escapes from the car? Or does it have to do with the air that is consequently pulled in through the handbrake hole?

--On Tuesday, June 18, 2002 2:03 PM -0400 alfa-digest <owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided> wrote:

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:02:00 -0400
From: "John Hertzman" <johnhertzman@domain.elided>
Subject: Ventilation slots and steering efforts

'Nardo asks "Okay, I'm seen plenty of theories on the GTV6 tea tray. So
now I want to know why those louvres are for on the back pillars. For
years I thought they provided air-flow through the passenger compartment
since the fiber board above the back deck area have holes, but when I
replaced a louvre recently I found NO opening in the body panel!! So what
gives?"

What gives is that somebody who is smarter than the beancounters at Arese
improved Bernie's car, no doubt to correct its aerodynamics to allow Texas
speeds. My Carolina GTV 6 has an original factory slot roughly 6" long by
5/8" deep behind a flange below the rain gutter along the top rear edge
of the area covered by the decorative plastic; it is wide enough for me
to touch fingers with my other hand inside the car. If Bernie wants
better ventilation he should be able to restore the opening with a Dremel
tool in half an hour or so, but might have to reconcile himself to the
speeds reachable by unimproved cars in the 49 dwarf states.