top straps

In a message dated 6/16/2002 5:14:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Digesters-  Yet another newbie question- this one about those little
> bungee straps in my Spider, back in the cargo area behind the seats.  IAP
> says to always use them, and to replace them promptly when they break,
> but I can't figure out what they're supposed to attach to. Mine are
> secured at the bottom, with a hook that fits into a grommet in the
> carpeted liner when not in use, but what purpose are they supposed to
> serve? (Eyerolls permitted if this is a dumb question)   TIA,   Patrick
> Hood '78 Spider, Seattle.

I had a 71 Spider for 14 years and the top was down almost every day of that
time.  It never had the straps and I never missed them.

I have had the 91 Spider for about 3 years now.  It also doesn't have the
straps.  The top is up o this car a lot more often, because it is my BW's
daily driver and there is a hair issue, as well as an A/C in use issue.  But
the straps, nah.

I think they are supposed to minimize the top's frame from rattling around
when it is down.  If you have a couple of glasses of a nice Chianti, you will
forget the whole thing.

IOW, I don't think they're necessary.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA