Re: Tea Tray theories

I'd have to agree with John that the metal stretching theory doesn't hold , er uh tea. I used to work in a metal stamping plant. The stress points, if there were any during forming, would be at the knife edges of the bulge. At those points there would be torn metal as if you were stretching a piece of mozzarella cheeze. The center probably underwent almost no strecthing.

I want to weld a metal plate in place of my tea tray so please keep up the fine discussion.

Steve Remington
gtv6
164

John Hertzman wrote:
"With no disrespect intended, I doubt Paul Witek's suggestion about the difficulty of stretching the metal for the hood bulge; it is a very shallow and simple pressing compared to the rotund forms of a technically more primitive era, like the roof-stamping of a 101 Sprint, and the bulge could easily have been designed in a less aggressive form."