GTV6 brake woes

I replaced my brake master cylinder in the GTV6 yesterday, and should be on my way to an autocross right now, but the brakes won't work. I'm at a complete loss. I've flushed an incredible amount of very expensives brake fluid through the system by the convetional method, pressurising te resevoir, and sucking it out the bleeders with a vacuum pump. I became similarly frustrated with the clutch MC last summer, and it was the vacuum pump method that finally eliminated the air from that system, but it didn't work this time. The other two methods seem to pump out bubble-free fluid, so I don't know what the problem is. I think that the bubbles I see when I try the vacuum method aren't coming out of the brake system, but rather getting sucked into my hose at the bleeder. So what's the deal? The brakes sort of work, but the pedal goes to the floor and only then do I get any appreciable braking force. I've never replaced a brake MC before (althought I've done the clutch several times), so am I overlooking something important? Please CC any replies off-digest. Missing the autocross this morning is disappointing as hell, but I really don't want to have to miss work tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
Joe "no brakes, no highbeams" Elliott
'82 GTV6