Re: Tea tray aesthetic enhancement

on 6/14/02 3:58 AM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:57:43 -0400
> From: "John Hertzman" <johnhertzman@domain.elided>
> Subject: Tea tray aesthetic enhancement
>
> The frequently asked question of the rationale for the tea-tray on the GTV 6
> has been answered again, but not (to me) convincingly. Until somebody explains
> why it was NOT needed on the late Sei, 90, 75, SZ and RZ, the 'functional'
> argument (cooking or denting the middle of the hood) seems half a brick shy of
> a full load. All of the transverse engined variants would blow the plenum
> rearward rather than upward, but the 90 and the Milano used the same plenums
> and connectors as the GTV 6, SZ, and RZ and all should need a tea tray (or
> "Viewing Port", as the Maratona's was called) just as much.
>
> And I would be VERY interested in a 'functional' explanation for the
> asymmetrical 'speed-lines' on the tray -
>
> Coffee guy, myself -
>
> John H.

Perhaps they later decided (after the GTV-6 was in production) that the
tea-tray was not really necessary, so when it came time to design the later
models (90, 75, S/RZ, etc.) they left it out. Just because they dropped it
in later designs doesn't mean that they didn't INITIALLY think it was
necessary.